April 2015 Archives

Nearly there

Well last week all the maps got nestled into their giant folders, now all that's left is entering a bit more information into Archivists Toolkit and some labeling. I've been working on excel sheets for the audio records and maps, but that's not very interesting so here are some photos.

These are selected from the second series' photo records of the 1975 Nag Hammadi dig:

nag-hammadi-view.jpg

Doesn't seem like the easiest terrain to deal with - there are photos of caves they were exploring in the rock face but it looks like they were searching in the rocky area around the base too:

nag-hammadi-dig.jpg

A meal break - that's Jim Robinson in the center:

IMG_3979.jpg

Here's one of the things they uncovered, I'd guess you'd really need to know what to look for. The hieroglyphs are barely visible to me:

slab.jpg

up-close-slab.jpg

That's all for this week, until next time!

Sara

The End is Approaching!

As the title of this post suggests, I'm approaching being done organizing and foldering my collection. I have nearly everything sorted, and I just need to label the folders and decide which boxes they will go in. I have a few things that are in the oversized box that can be taken out (as they aren't that big), but that's it for the physical stuff (I think)!

Next week I'll be finishing up and starting to enter everything into Archivists' Toolkit.

Here's another action shot--I've since moved to a larger table. As you can see, this one is a bit small.

IMG_5812 - Version 2.JPG

 

Until next week!

 

Now that's thorough

Nothing new to report on right now with processing, so here's something I found interesting while we were going through the maps and photos. One of the tubes that came with the collection was mailed from the Department on the Interior and contained a satellite image and its negative of the Nag Hammadi area.

tube-2.jpgTube-1.jpg

If you can, why not get the best overview of your dig site as possible? From what I've made out of the numbers on the photo, it seems this was taken on the 21st of November 1981:

satellite-1.jpg

If that's the case, this was taken near the end of the expeditions, maybe they were made because the option had just become available. A cursory look at satellite history says that there have been photo satellites from as early as 1946 (http://www.airspacemag.com/space/the-first-photo-from-space-13721411/?no-ist=), but the ability to order a photo survey from NASA may have been some time coming.

satellite-2.jpg

The weeks are counting down quickly now, just going to keep pressing on. Look forward to another piece of show and tell next week! Until then -

Sara

Still Archiving!

I'm still organizing, sleeving, enveloping, and otherwise archiving Ethel and Nancy's documents. I've come across more old family documents, some from as early as the time of the Civil War, which is pretty cool.

My somewhat-OCD impulses have gotten the better of me, and I'm rearranging things to try to have a more reasonable physical order, as well as a good archival order. Some of the main categories I'm using are older family/historical documents, Nancy's artwork, and Nancy's time in France. I'm also dividing up a few folders that were stuffed past capacity into much thinner folders, so none of the many photos get warped as they sit in the boxes. Once everything is satisfactorily organized, I'll number all of the folders at the same time.

Below is an old family photo. There are no names or a date on the back, but someone wrote, "Spoiled print but will give you an idea." I'm not sure if this is referring to a less-than-quality development of the photo (it looks pretty good to me, especially give how old it probably is) or the fact that no one except the young girl in the middle is looking anywhere near the camera. Anyway, I just thought it was a sort of funny and candid picture, especially since it was with a bunch of formal family portraits in which everyone looks very serious.

IMG_5817 - Version 2.JPG

Next week I'm (still) going to try to finish up with the doc boxes and get started with entering everything into Archivists' Toolkit. 

DSS in the IAC

dss-jordan.jpg

 

Now that the bulk of the processing is done we're just focusing on the loose ends and the little pieces that haven't fit in anywhere else yet. There are a couple reels of super 8 film and an interesting notebook with images from an exhibition of the Dead Sea Scrolls. It's put together in a way I haven't seen before - the photos are in sleeves that are hinged so you can flip each one up.

flip-notebook.jpgbrown-photo-binder.jpg

They correspond to some of the index cards that came with the collection. There isn't a huge amount of information on the Dead Sea Scrolls in the records, but there are some lectures, images, and info on the exhibition of the scrolls scattered throughout. The codices are much more well represented in this collection.

As for me, I'll keep working on the data entry portion of the processing and getting these last few things all buttoned up. Until next week!

Sara

So Many Mylar Sleeves

This week, I continued to organize, folder, and sleeve the contents of the three doc boxes I've been working on. I Mylar sleeved about 140 little photos... I got the hang of it after maybe 20 or so, and it went pretty quickly after that. Most of the pictures were from Nancy's time in France. There's a sampling of the photos (note how beautifully they've been sleeved) in the photo below.

IMG_5814 - Version 2.JPG


Nancy also had a second scrapbook, which has photos from when she was a child and also when she was much older. And of course, photos of cats!

Next week I'm going to try to finish up with the doc boxes and get started with entering everything into Archivists' Toolkit.